Subscribe to Blog

Sign up below to get this blog e-mailed to you. You'll never miss a post again!

Locked Outside with a Hacksaw in Hand



WARNING: Some may find the following to be of utter ridiculousness. If that's you, I understand. There is a part of me which agrees with you, but for now there is a bigger part of me who still gets tripped up with the small things. Enjoy the laugh!  

Standing outside of a locked door hacksaw in hand and on the verge of tears because of hunger made me face the reality that community makes life better.

It's a truth that I know, but for some reason fight. 

I am a task oriented accomplishment driven person who often gets overwhelmed by the projects of my life because I look only to what my hands and abilities can do. This was the same when I returned home from a walk to find my husband gone to work and all the doors locked. 

Not a problem, I thought to myself, I'll just remove a screen from the window and hope the window lock is up. That wasn't so easy. I found that the screens only pop out from the inside.

Next option, there is always just removing the screen from it's frame. With that accomplished and only minor damage, the window was accessible. The only problem, it was locked and wouldn't budge. 

My reasonable side was stating the obvious: You know it's Saturday morning and there are tons of neighbors home who all have phones. 

My "grit" a.k.a. ridiculous stubbornness which doesn't want to ask anyone for help much less face the humiliation of being locked outside kicked in and thought up a few more entry tactics.

One of those tactics was of course prayer. You know, your normal "God please give the dog supernatural senses that he may be able to jump to heights three times his size and unlock the door," prayer. 

For some reason, unknown to me, that didn't work. Instead there was that pesky little voice of reason that once again noted the fact that my neighbors were all home and a phone call to my husband was much more likely to help that expecting my dog to gain supernatural powers.

Still I would have none of that reasoning. There had to be a way to get in the house that didn't involve anyone else.  Pry bars, screwdrivers, and yes even in a last effort attempt a hacksaw didn't work. I had to try one final prayer. Who am I kidding? It was more like a kid begging for toys in the middle of Walmart. 

In that less than holy moment what I received was what I had already know. I was not getting into my house without help. Reluctantly I dropped the hacksaw and headed over to wake the neighbors.  

The way I felt: imposing, shameful, and embarrassed.  The way I was received: welcoming, grace filled, and understanding. 

As you may have guessed, I did get in my home thanks to my gracious neighbors, husband and parents. As great as it was to be inside and finally get breakfast, it was even better to know that I do have community. 

There are people willing to help if only I'm willing to ask. Community really does make life better. 

Do you struggle asking for help? If so put the hacksaw down, and let me hear from you. 

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble. Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment