Subscribe to Blog

Sign up below to get this blog e-mailed to you. You'll never miss a post again!

Opinions don't make us hateful. It's how we express them that do.



I am just learning to adult and with that came a hard lesson. (When I say hard, I may mean that is had me curled up in a fetal position, sucking my thumb, and rocking back and forth for a few days; however, that's not very adult like, and there is no evidence so let's move on)  

Here's the lesson: Because I have an opinion about something, doesn't make it a fact. Because someone disagrees with my opinion or I disagree with their's, doesn't make them or me a hateful person. What makes us hateful is the words and actions that we choose to use to express our opinions.

I know the world is full of places where we can exercise our freedom of speech, debate openly, live differently, and wildly disagree; however in doing so, let it be path of learning, becoming better individuals, and even in some cases healing not one of destruction and hate.

I guess what I am saying is let's offer the same respect to others as we would want for ourselves. (Ahh... the pesky ole' golden rule strikes again!) We just might be surprised at what happens when we move from name calling, obscene gestures, and physical violence to meaningful discussion. Maybe we would find that when we listen, we may also be heard.

And since I know that you are going to take on the challenge, here's to a week of respecting others, awkward conversations, and knowing that you only have part of the story!

Now get out there and make a difference!






No comments:

Post a Comment